While you may not need an excuse to celebrate chocolate, International Chocolate Cake Day is a good one!
Mark the occasion at home with this simple and delicious chocolatey fudge cake recipe from Cadbury...
100 g soft margarine
100 g light soft brown sugar
2 medium eggs
100 g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
50 g butter
2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
225 g icing sugar
2 bars of Cadbury Fudge, cut into thirds
2 tbsp Cadbury Bournville Cocoa
75 g Cadbury Bournville Classic
- Preheat the oven to 180 ⁰C, gas mark 4. Grease and line 2 x 18 cm sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Place margarine, sugar and eggs into a bowl with the sieved flour, baking powder and cocoa. Add 2 tbsp of hot water and beat well together with an electric hand mixer for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide evenly between the sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch. Remove from the tins and cool on a wire rack for around 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter and chocolate with the milk in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl and using a wooden spoon, beat in the chocolate mixture along with 1 tbsp hot water. The mixture should be thick enough to spread onto the cake (if not, leave to cool a little).
- Sandwich the sponges together with a quarter of the icing. Use the remaining icing to cover the sides and top of the cake. Decorate with the pieces of Cadbury Fudge.